Home » News » Public Safety
Gilford police chief says relationship was no reason to dismiss him
Keenan had been on paid administrative leave since Aug. 28, when an investigation began into an alleged relationship with Student Resource Officer Holly Harris. He had been with the department for nearly 20 years; he was appointed chief in October 2011.
"I never said that she was not working, but I can confirm to you that she is working now," Dunn said prior to Wednesday night's meeting.
"It is with tremendous regret that I tender my resignation," Keenan said in a statement that he read to selectmen.
Keenan said he made selectmen aware of the relationship. He said Selectman Gus Benevides claimed to be supportive of him. He understood that there would be an investigation from an independent group that the town often uses as a third-party consultant.
He said if the town accused him of adultery, "if charged, I'd defend it."
He said the town informed him late Wednesday afternoon that he was going to be "terminated for just cause" if he did not resign from his $83,500-a-year position.
"I'm not telling any person in the town of Gilford, New Hampshire, how to feel about my relationship," he said. "But I have a problem with anyone who thinks it should have been the cause of my dismissal."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
- Sister of accused Boston marathon bombers arrested after bomb threat - 0
- Authorities mum about reports of shooting in Manchester - 0
- Bruins agree to long-term agreement with Providence - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you