Another year in flux for Hooksett eighth-graders
HOOKSETT — Another class of eighth-graders faces uncertainty after a deal with Pinkerton Academy fell through this week, school officials and residents said.
“We are all disappointed that we can’t bring this forward in the time frame that we originally thought we could,” board Chairman Trisha Korkosz said Wednesday. “I completely understand that Pinkerton has to look out for the best interests of its sending districts as we do for our students. But I am disappointed that we have another eighth-grade class in flux.”
While Superintendent Charles Littlefield has said he will try to negotiate a memorandum of understanding with Pinkerton so Hooksett students who wish can still attend next year, board member Cheryl Akstin said she doubts those negotiations will end well.
“I am worried an MOU agreement (with Pinkerton) will not be worked out. I know Dr. Littlefield is hopeful, but I am nervous. It is not something (Pinkerton) has done in the past with sending districts, and the process to get it approved might be very complicated. I am pessimistic this will work as a short-term fix,” Akstin said.
Board member David Pearl said that as it stands now, next year’s freshman class will be assigned to Manchester high schools, and then students would have the option to ask the district for placement in another high school.
Resident Tammy Hooker, who has a freshman in Pembroke Academy and an eighth-grader she would like to attend there as well, said she is very unhappy everything remains up in the air.
“I was not for the Pinkerton contract to start with, I think Manchester is a better fit. But I am very worried right now (for my eighth grader). This is very stressful, we went through this all last year and now we have to do it again,” she said.