Friends of Pisgah create camp area by state park
The site is near a Pisgah State Park trail, running water and a composting latrine the group erected this summer, creating an ideal overnight spot for campers or hikers passing through.
Friends of Pisgah Council member Kim Nilsen of Spofford said he knows hikers who have passed through Pisgah on trips from Connecticut to Canada.
John Hudachek, a member of the Friends of Pisgah, said the state park Davis Hill Trail carries over onto the 100-acre property owned by the Friends of Pisgah. The camp area with the latrine and lean-to shelter was created less than mile from the trail, so the volunteers plan to erect signs on the property leading campers and hikers to the site.
“I just feel that that is our mission to enhance people’s experience in the park. What better way than to give them another avenue to experience, where they can hike there, camp overnight and then continue hiking,” Hudachek said.
“I’d love to be able to build a shelter or two in Pisgah,” he said. “I love doing that kind of work and developing trails in remote places and giving people a chance to experience what it is like being out in the woods at night, and that’s a whole different experience.”
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Contributions will buy winter coats for kids - 0
- Bedford Fire Dept. to hold live burn exercise Saturday - 0
- Guns, trash and vandalism spoil Bow wooded area - 0
- Windham charter school group gaining an ally - 0
- Londonderry teen turns to Facebook in the spirit of giving - 0
- Woodland Storybook Walk invites attendees to stroll enchanted forest - 0
- Gundalow donated to Dover park - 0
- Claremont to celebrate manufacturing and jazz roots Sunday at 250th - 0
- Former Windham skate park may become gathering place for seniors - 0
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Win tickets to see the Amazing Nano Brothers
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Win tickets to see Kip Moore
Blackwater verdict stuns NH dad
Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks