Home » News » Public Safety
Friends, family of man paralyzed after hospital attack, night in jail left with questions
But John Ornelas said that is no reason to celebrate.
Clearly irritated, Ornelas declined to say more, adding the family's lawyer told him not to speak.
"I've got nothing to say. Whatever happened should speak for itself," he said.
Fern Ornelas has been able to speak when his breathing tube is removed and recognizes his family, his brother and close family, friends have said.
Whatever happened to Fern Ornelas, who has lived in Manchester since his family immigrated here from Portugal when he was a boy, is the focus of two investigations. One is being led by the Hillsborough County Attorney's Office with help from the Attorney General's Office. The other is being done by a three-member board Gov. Maggie Hassan appointed to get answers about Ornelas' situation and another Elliot Hospital emergency room attack involving a mentally ill patient that left two hospital staff hurt, one critically.
"Fern is a good guy," said Tom Thirsk, a retired Verizon worker who says he has known Ornelas for about 10 years. "Somebody is hiding something. This just doesn't happen by itself.
"We would like him to actually get better and not be handicapped or crippled," he added.
"Is it possible he (Fern) did something? Yes, I guess. But that is out of context for him," Conway added. He said his friend is a "good worker" and a "nice guy" who has never shown a violent side.
Investigators were at the jail that afternoon, the commissioners said they were told.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 6
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist