Home » News » Public Safety
City treatment facility evacuated after mattress set on fire
Manchester Fire District Chief Michael Gamache said fire crews were called to the Easter Seals neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at 199 Zachary Road at 8:37 p.m. Saturday night after a mattress was allegedly set on fire by a juvenile female resident of the program. Manchester fire officials said they have identified the juvenile, but did not release her name Sunday.
District Chief Gamache said the burning mattress caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to a dorm room at the facility, and filled a residential wing with smoke. The entire population of the treatment facility was evacuated for approximately 45 minutes.
Gamache said the fire was under control at 8:50 p.m., and fire crews departed the scene by 9:15 p.m. There were no injuries reported.
Easter Seals operates a neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at the facility, designed for males and females ages eight to 21 with pervasive developmental disorders, nonverbal learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, and other neurological disorders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health