All Sections
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In

City treatment facility evacuated after mattress set on fire

MANCHESTER - A treatment facility operated by Easter Seals was evacuated Saturday night after a patient at the site allegedly set fire to a mattress.

Manchester Fire District Chief Michael Gamache said fire crews were called to the Easter Seals neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at 199 Zachary Road at 8:37 p.m. Saturday night after a mattress was allegedly set on fire by a juvenile female resident of the program. Manchester fire officials said they have identified the juvenile, but did not release her name Sunday.

District Chief Gamache said the burning mattress caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to a dorm room at the facility, and filled a residential wing with smoke. The entire population of the treatment facility was evacuated for approximately 45 minutes.

Gamache said the fire was under control at 8:50 p.m., and fire crews departed the scene by 9:15 p.m. There were no injuries reported.

Easter Seals operates a neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at the facility, designed for males and females ages eight to 21 with pervasive developmental disorders, nonverbal learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, and other neurological disorders.

action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:88
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:64
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:2
action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle - Public Safety