Home » News » Public Safety
City treatment facility evacuated after mattress set on fire
Manchester Fire District Chief Michael Gamache said fire crews were called to the Easter Seals neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at 199 Zachary Road at 8:37 p.m. Saturday night after a mattress was allegedly set on fire by a juvenile female resident of the program. Manchester fire officials said they have identified the juvenile, but did not release her name Sunday.
District Chief Gamache said the burning mattress caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to a dorm room at the facility, and filled a residential wing with smoke. The entire population of the treatment facility was evacuated for approximately 45 minutes.
Gamache said the fire was under control at 8:50 p.m., and fire crews departed the scene by 9:15 p.m. There were no injuries reported.
Easter Seals operates a neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at the facility, designed for males and females ages eight to 21 with pervasive developmental disorders, nonverbal learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, and other neurological disorders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bruins pleased with start in spite of injuries - 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 3
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 1
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 5
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Camping out didn't pay for shoppers