Home » News » Public Safety
City treatment facility evacuated after mattress set on fire
Manchester Fire District Chief Michael Gamache said fire crews were called to the Easter Seals neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at 199 Zachary Road at 8:37 p.m. Saturday night after a mattress was allegedly set on fire by a juvenile female resident of the program. Manchester fire officials said they have identified the juvenile, but did not release her name Sunday.
District Chief Gamache said the burning mattress caused an estimated $2,000 in damage to a dorm room at the facility, and filled a residential wing with smoke. The entire population of the treatment facility was evacuated for approximately 45 minutes.
Gamache said the fire was under control at 8:50 p.m., and fire crews departed the scene by 9:15 p.m. There were no injuries reported.
Easter Seals operates a neurobehavioral residential/educational treatment program at the facility, designed for males and females ages eight to 21 with pervasive developmental disorders, nonverbal learning disabilities, traumatic brain injuries, and other neurological disorders.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
- Poll activity slow but steady in Londonderry - 0
- Manchester police recover $2,000 worth of painkillers in drug arrest - 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus