Home » News » Public Safety
Longtime Exeter firefighter remembered as 'all around nice guy'
A fourth generation firefighter, the younger Raymond will also carry on the legacy of his grandfather, who served 50 years as a firefighter in Exeter and another five in Brentwood.
He inspired generations of firefighters, including his grandson, Lucas.
Gary Raymond described his father as a loving family man who had two families: the one at home and the other one at the firehouse.
When he began his career in Exeter, Raymond was responsible for both firefighting and dispatching.
His desk time gave him reading time, his son said, and he became known as the "unofficial proofreader" of the newspaper. He always kept his eye out for spelling errors and other mistakes.
In fact, in an interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader after he earned a "Firefighter of the Year" award in 2010, Raymond insisted that he had no plans to retire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus