Home » News » Public Safety
Longtime Exeter firefighter remembered as 'all around nice guy'
A fourth generation firefighter, the younger Raymond will also carry on the legacy of his grandfather, who served 50 years as a firefighter in Exeter and another five in Brentwood.
He inspired generations of firefighters, including his grandson, Lucas.
Gary Raymond described his father as a loving family man who had two families: the one at home and the other one at the firehouse.
When he began his career in Exeter, Raymond was responsible for both firefighting and dispatching.
His desk time gave him reading time, his son said, and he became known as the "unofficial proofreader" of the newspaper. He always kept his eye out for spelling errors and other mistakes.
In fact, in an interview with the New Hampshire Union Leader after he earned a "Firefighter of the Year" award in 2010, Raymond insisted that he had no plans to retire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council