Londonderry students try their hand at pioneer living
Students Owen Barth and Jessica Stewart tried their hands at “shaving,” Colonial style, during the Pioneer Living program at Londonderry South Elementary School on Friday. (APRIL GUILMET/Union Leader Correspondent)
For the 100 or so third-graders at Londonderry South Elementary School, learning what their ancestors' daily lives may have been like took a bit of ingenuity on the parts of their teachers and a dozen parent volunteers.
In the days before electricity, doing one's laundry was quite the workout, as student Owen Barth soon learned.
"This is pretty hard," he declared.
Across the room, classmate A.J. Jackson was getting a workout of a different sort, as he ground cornmeal into dough, later rolling out the dough and placing it into cast-iron molds.
Making their way around the gym, the children also tried their hands at panning for "gold," playing with old-fashioned wooden toys, stringing Native American beads and combing out wool fibers to make fabric.
"They're having a lot of fun with this," she said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax