Home » News » Public Safety
Robbery just before Manchester police seminar for small business hammers home safety recommendations
Jim Merrow, owner of Merrow Wholesale Auto listens during the small business safety seminar at the Manchester Police Department on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
About 30 convenience store owners and employees were given these tips, and more, as part of a seminar hosted by the Manchester Police Department Wednesday night that aimed to help convenience stores lessen the chances of being robbed.
"They're typically conducting the robbery to feed some kind of chemical dependency," he said. "You and the robber have something in common. You both want the ordeal to be over with as quickly as possible."
Rondeau said convenience stores can also take several steps to deter would-be robbers from considering their stores. They include wide aisles with low shelves for better visibility, surveillance cameras, greeting every customer so a would-be robber knows that their face has been seen, time-lock safes and bright lights. But, he said, the "most important" thing convenience stores can do is clear windows of advertising that blocks the interior view from the street.
"All those signs that are in your windows are a detriment to you and to us in sometimes stopping robberies," Mucci said.
"It will be helpful to protect ourselves and our employees," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox's Holt has All-Star history