Home » News » Public Safety
Robbery just before Manchester police seminar for small business hammers home safety recommendations
Jim Merrow, owner of Merrow Wholesale Auto listens during the small business safety seminar at the Manchester Police Department on Thursday. (Thomas Roy/Union Leader)
About 30 convenience store owners and employees were given these tips, and more, as part of a seminar hosted by the Manchester Police Department Wednesday night that aimed to help convenience stores lessen the chances of being robbed.
"They're typically conducting the robbery to feed some kind of chemical dependency," he said. "You and the robber have something in common. You both want the ordeal to be over with as quickly as possible."
Rondeau said convenience stores can also take several steps to deter would-be robbers from considering their stores. They include wide aisles with low shelves for better visibility, surveillance cameras, greeting every customer so a would-be robber knows that their face has been seen, time-lock safes and bright lights. But, he said, the "most important" thing convenience stores can do is clear windows of advertising that blocks the interior view from the street.
"All those signs that are in your windows are a detriment to you and to us in sometimes stopping robberies," Mucci said.
"It will be helpful to protect ourselves and our employees," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Talk of 'wings on pigs' threats on police tests U.S. speech rights - 0
- Brentwood police look to increase coverage after officer's death in May - 4
- Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm - 39
- Police investigate report of shots fired - 0
- Manchester blaze that left dozens homeless was accidental - 0
- Milford woman injured in Bedford crash - 0
- Park on any side of the street in Manchester during Christmas week - 0
- NYC mayor wants protests on hold after police deaths - 0
- Mother of two says she's lucky, even though condo destroyed in blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads