Price of school lunches may go up in Londonderry
During a recent meeting with the Londonderry School Board, Food Services Director Nancy Faucon said the department suffered a $17,000 operating loss last year, which she attributed mostly to the district’s overall declining enrollment.
Elementary school lunches cost $1.70 versus the state average of $2.09, while middle school lunches cost $2 as opposed to the state average of $2.31. High school lunches cost $2.10, still lower than the state average of $2.58.
Still, a survey of parents and students completed earlier this fall indicated many would be unhappy with a price increase.
This year, school officials launched a breakfast program at the middle school, along with separate lunch lines for those getting lunch or just a snack.
Business Administrator Peter Curro said about 250 people responded to the food service survey, which was completed this past fall.
In addition to cost concerns, survey participants said the meals aren’t always what the students want and many said they’d like to see more variety and better quality.
“Honestly, I’m not sure how much more we can do,” Curro said. “Variety is subject to the amount of kitchen space we have, but we are trying to address this at the high school right now.”
“We have a lot of kids who are involved in various after-school activities and athletics programs,” Curro said, noting that an unused storage room in the high school cafeteria might be converted to some sort of a snack or salad bar.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester makes move to outsource student driver education program - 3
- Nashua education board chair concerned about test scores - 0
- Dartmouth scholar to co-lead Arctic initiative - 0
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
- Pinkerton Academy to issue refunds to sending towns - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with elementary school students - 0
- Public hearing on proposed school bonds - 1
- Crotched Mtn. school suit alleges abuse - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 0
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 7
- Brown, Shaheen run hardest where support is deepest - 0
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 0
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
- UNH Notebook: Albany is much improved - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer