Home » News » Public Safety
Oil truck overturns in Portsmouth crash
Police are investigating after this SUV collided with an oil truck on Grafton Road in Portsmouth Wednesday night. (Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent)
The accident occurred around 8 p.m. and shut down part of Grafton Road near the entrance to the C & J Trailways bus terminal.
Police Sgt. Christopher Roth said it appears a man operating a GMC Yukon pulled out in front of the oil truck, which was heading toward Route 33.
Roth said he believes the Yukon also rolled over, landing upright around the intersection of Grafton Drive and C & J Trailways.
The driver of the Yukon suffered a head injury and was transported to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
Fire Capt. Todd Germain described his injuries as "moderate" but he did not believe they were life-threatening.
The driver of the oil truck, owned by Diesel Direct, was able to climb out on his own after the accident and was not hurt, Germain said.
Specialized equipment from Diesel Direct was expected to be brought to the scene to offload the oil before the truck can be turned upright and towed from the scene.
Germain said the oil truck needed to be emptied as a safety precaution.
"We don't know if there's something under the tank that's plugging a hole and when we lift the truck up it all comes falling out," he said.
Germain said less than five gallons of oil spilled onto the roadway.
"We've been able to contain it. It's a very slow leak through a hatch on the roof," Germain said.
Firefighters used bags of speedy dry to absorb the oil.
Germain said he expected crews to remain at the scene until after midnight.
Portsmouth police and fire responded to the scene. State police also responded to assist with accident reconstruction.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Nashua man critical after being hit by box truck - 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinnaRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 1
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Habib's City Sports: St. Thomas coach: I owe Central - 0
- Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison - 0
- 'Bingo hunting' police use random license plate checks to make arrest - 0
- Bedford police investigating burglary at Verizon Wireless store - 0
- Police: Manchester man charged with endangering child after going 101 mph - 0
- FairPoint customer concerned about blocked emails - 0
- Plaistow narrows field in search for its new police chief - 0
- Man faces robbery, assault charges after extradition from NY - 0
- Hershey Bears shut out Monarchs - 0
Hockey brought them together; Hooksett ice rink will serve as NH couple's 'church' for wedding
NH Audubon's Rare Bird Alert
Dartmouth women skaters beat Union
Armed burglar from Derry sentenced to prison