UNH to Durham: Get out of the pool
The town proposed forming a working group of town council members, community members and representatives of the university.
The state Department of Environmental Services recently concluded a review of the pool and determined that it is a swimming pool, not a modified flow through pool, but because it predates any state standards, many facets of the pool have been "grandfathered."
Selig said UNH would have to make the argument for continuing to grandfather certain elements of the pool.
UNH: No pool in 2014
On Saturday, the university officially notified the town that as a result of the DES determination and the safety concerns, the pool will not be opened for the summer 2014 season.
Resident and state Rep. Marjorie Smith said the letter from UNH to Selig notifying him of the decision was "disingenuous at best."
"It makes statements that cannot be corroborated in the way that this letter lays out, and to have an institution which I would think of as the intellectual pinnacle in the state act in this way causes me both personal pain and professional sadness," Smith said.
"I am saddened to see a situation in which the university has chosen to take a path that is not one of cooperation and mutual respect," Smith said.
"In fact, it praises the university and the town for how well that facility has been maintained," Smith said.
The town/gown committee will meet again on Nov. 21.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Board of Ed finds in favor of Goffstown; Dunbarton plans Supreme Court appeal - 2
- Tech conference sparks ideas and imagination - 0
- Nashua assessment tests miss the mark - 1
- St. A's board of trustees responds to criticism of graduation change - 2
- Officials proposing cutting Derry school budget by $1.4 million - 0
- St. Anselm in a stir over graduation date change - 13
- Nashua schools struggle to find more time for middle-school math - 0
- Former Gov. Lynch chosen for PSU Robert Frost award - 0
- Keene State College gets funding to further biology research - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads