Cheshire Career Center to launch firefighter course for teens next fall
Next fall the Keene High School-based Cheshire Career Center plans to launch its first firefighter course to teens.
It started in 2010 when Dover High School started a course that offered certification in Firefighter 1, said Cheshire Career Center Director Jim Logan Wednesday. The Firefighter 1 certification is a nationally recognized certification that qualifies the teens to become volunteer firefighters. Students who complete the course will have certificates for wildland firefighting, CPR and professional rescuing.
Logan has been working closely with Meredith Lund, a captain with the N.H. Fire Academy and Keene High Chemistry teacher Graham Gitchell, who has been a volunteer firefighter with the Westmoreland Fire Department for the past 10 years, to craft the curriculum of the program that is one of many cropping up around the state.
Cheshire Center students would attend an 80-minute block five days a week throughout the school year at the career center in Keene and take about three or four days out of the school year for field trips to the fire academy, Logan said.
Logan said the plan is to also create an EMT course. Interested students would be encouraged to take the firefighting course in their junior year and the EMT course in their senior year of high school.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester eyes another Legion baseball crown - 0
- Only a freshman, Kennedy excelled on the track - 0
- Looking Back With Aurore Eaton: The Manchester Opera House makes its stunning debut - 0
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 1
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 1
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats prove point - 0
- Evan Turner, Celtics see upside in new deal - 0
- Thunder take two from Fisher Cats - 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Police say boy, 6, found in getaway car
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's