Petition fails to sway Fremont board to reconsider
The move followed the board’s announcement last week that it would skip the search and offer a 5-year contract to Betsey Cox-Buteau, who was appointed interim superintendent of the Fremont School District in July.
About 20 residents attended the meeting, several of whom expressed frustration with the board’s handling of the superintendent’s position.
Many said they were led to believe that the board would perform a full search for the best candidate and were surprised when they learned of the vote to offer the job to Cox after she spent only four months on the job.
Several residents also said they felt a 5-year offer was too long for someone who’s been with the district for such a short time.
Despite the petition, board Chairman Ida Keane said the board made no change to its original vote to offer the 5-year agreement to Cox, who replaced Michelle Langa after she quit before the end of the last school year.
“I found her to be an extremely effective superintendent (for) this district,” Keane said.
The decision to offer Cox the job was made after about 80 parents, teachers, staff members and others in the community filled out evaluation forms designed to provide feedback on Cox’s job performance so far.
Board member Greg Fraize was the only one to vote against the contract offer. While he said he feels Cox would “do a good job for the district,” Fraize insisted residents were led to believe a search would be done.
She also favors a 5-year agreement.
“I think we need a long-term commitment from a superintendent,” Girardi said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 0
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- At FIRST, it's all about learning and helping each other - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Manchester schools project budget surplus