In Hampstead, gratitude and remembrance
A recipient of three Purple Hearts and other war medals, the 89-year-old retired colonel spent 34 years in the Army, serving in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
They also paid special tribute to fallen Marine Pfc. Matthew L. Bertolino of Hampstead.
At Monday's ceremony, members of the New Hampshire chapter of Honor and Remember Inc. presented Bertolino's mother, Joyce, with a plaque and an "Honor and Remember" flag.
"The flag serves as a symbol of national gratitude for the hundreds of thousands of American men and women who bravely made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the freedoms that we enjoy. The flag also helps to promote healing for the thousands of families that deserve recognition for the sacrifice of a lost love one," said Bill Geary of Londonderry, director of the New Hampshire chapter whose nephew, Marine Lance Cpl. Michael Geary of Derry, died in combat in Afghanistan in 2010.
"Matt felt a deep calling to serve his country. He believed it to be his duty. He wanted to make this a better world for everyone. He was proud to be an American and equally proud to be a Marine," said Savage, whose own son, Army Cpl. Matthew Stanley, 22, was killed in 2006 by a roadside bomb in Iraq.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief