Math: The 11th-grade test doesn't add up
On the other hand, most students would find it very useful from the get-go if they could figure out change in their heads, read an amortization schedule, or understand the relationship between price and yield. Also, these types of real-world lessons would — dare I say it — make their math exams a bit more interesting than watching paint dry.
A) Solve for "x" if 3x2 + 20 – 4.5x = 50; or
B) Where are the customers' yachts?
Obviously, it is B, as nearly 75 years ago, Fred Schwed wrote a book about Wall Street with that title, and people are still buying it today.
If you'd like to find out whether you're smarter at math than an 11th-grader, take the practice test yourself. You can find it here: unionleader.com/test
Benjamin Kepple is an accountant and former reporter for The Union Leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Girl Scouts need help sending cookies to military personnel overseas - 0
- Auto dealers group offers scholarship aid, funds to NH veterans programs - 0
- Commentary: Chronically homeless vets are a problem for all of us - 0
- Rep. Shea-Porter bashes planned military cuts - 0
- New Hampshire Veterans News in Brief - 0
- Sen. Ayotte concerned about cuts in COLA for new service members - 0
- NH veterans get a deal at Amesbury Sports Park - 0
- VA Medical Center to host open house - 0
- Parents of fallen SEAL will speak in Hollis - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Yet another must-win scenario for men's hockey team - 0
- Nashua mayor to aldermen: Don’t alter rules on city contracts - 0
- Merrimack-Trinity semifinal to be followed by Memorial-Central in Div. I basketball - 0
- Pinkerton-Londonderry rivalry set for Div. I hockey semifinal - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 0
- Parking lot study to go before Peterborough voters - 0
- Former Derry Town Administrator John Anderson asks judge to dismiss charges - 0
- Board of Education to vote on Nashua North High principal - 0
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
For New Hampshire towns, it’s time to vote
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings