Math: The 11th-grade test doesn't add up
On the other hand, most students would find it very useful from the get-go if they could figure out change in their heads, read an amortization schedule, or understand the relationship between price and yield. Also, these types of real-world lessons would — dare I say it — make their math exams a bit more interesting than watching paint dry.
A) Solve for "x" if 3x2 + 20 – 4.5x = 50; or
B) Where are the customers' yachts?
Obviously, it is B, as nearly 75 years ago, Fred Schwed wrote a book about Wall Street with that title, and people are still buying it today.
If you'd like to find out whether you're smarter at math than an 11th-grader, take the practice test yourself. You can find it here: unionleader.com/test
Benjamin Kepple is an accountant and former reporter for The Union Leader.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Robin Williams’ ashes are scattered in San Francisco Bay - 0
- Syracuse, Iowa crowned top party schools - 0
- Parking fines cause disputes, raise revenues - 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
- Boston Red Sox limited to one hit in loss to Tampa Bay, 7-0 - 0
- Donald Trump to headline 1st Amendment event in NH - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: Drivers education to science, meeting all about the kids - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America
Amnesty? Garcia is against it
NH's teen pregnancy still lowest nationwide
George Will: Paul Ryan's way forward