Opponent: 'Stop experimenting with my children'
Ann Marie Banfield, education liaison at Cornerstone Policy Research, a statewide conservative advocacy group, says the frustration of parents such as DiPietro is understandable. Her three children attended parochial schools, she said, and after years of researching education, she now wishes she had home-schooled them.
Mayor Ted Gatsas, who is taking on the Department of Education over testing protocols, said he had been made wary by past experience.
"In the 1980s, there was an experiment to build schools without classroom walls," he said. "I still have a school like that in my district at Beech Street. The only thing that separates classrooms is file cabinets. Go in there and see if you can pay attention."
The controversy surrounding the education standards and related tests is actually a good thing for education, DiPietro says, because it has mobilized parents. "Now, there's a door that's been opened," he said. "Thanks to Common Core, parents like me can make our case that we've been going the wrong way for the last 30 years."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?