Mar 5, 2014
Feb 26, 2014
Feb 19, 2014
Feb 6, 2014
'The Hole' at Valley Street jail cost taxpayers thousands
Unofficially, it's called "The Hole," and it was a factor in lawsuits brought by four Valley Street Jail inmates who claimed they were sent there in 2002 after being unfairly accused of threatening a corrections officer.
• Inmates were allowed only a sheet, mattress, pillow and prison uniform. Other items were forbidden, such as legal papers, reading material, writing instruments and personal hygiene articles.
• Meals provided to inmate Palacio "Big Mex" Paladin were half-sized; he lost 100 pounds in his time in The Hole.
Superintendent David Dionne said conditions are now different in the segregated housing unit.
During a tour of the jail this summer, a reporter spoke to Luis Aviles Rivera, a 19-year-old inmate in his 12th day of a 15-day stint in cell block 2B. Rivera said he was sent to The Hole for smacking an inmate.
"They treat everybody good," Rivera said, "they show you respect."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Exeter police say man briefly suffocated 3-year-old girl - 0
- Police say Raymond man hit friend who tried to stop him from driving drunk - 0
- Affidavit: Driver accused in fatal Nashua hit and run had been drinking - 3
- Londonderry coach found not guilty in girl's sex assault - 1
- Police: Convicted Antrim sex offender mentored child he molested - 1
- Raymond man charged with hitting friend with his vehicle - 0
- NH Supreme Court reject's Addison appeal to remove AG's prosecuting team - 6
- Manchester man convicted on drug, weapons counts - 2
- Jury considers fate of Londonderry man in sex assault trial - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua