Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
'The Hole' at Valley Street jail cost taxpayers thousands
Unofficially, it's called "The Hole," and it was a factor in lawsuits brought by four Valley Street Jail inmates who claimed they were sent there in 2002 after being unfairly accused of threatening a corrections officer.
• Inmates were allowed only a sheet, mattress, pillow and prison uniform. Other items were forbidden, such as legal papers, reading material, writing instruments and personal hygiene articles.
• Meals provided to inmate Palacio "Big Mex" Paladin were half-sized; he lost 100 pounds in his time in The Hole.
Superintendent David Dionne said conditions are now different in the segregated housing unit.
During a tour of the jail this summer, a reporter spoke to Luis Aviles Rivera, a 19-year-old inmate in his 12th day of a 15-day stint in cell block 2B. Rivera said he was sent to The Hole for smacking an inmate.
"They treat everybody good," Rivera said, "they show you respect."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- Suspected Pa. cop-killer Eric Frein taken into custody - 0
- Anonymous tip leads to arrest of moose poacher - 0
- Victim in Hampton pedestrian crash files lawsuit against driver, town and state - 0
- Dover police say man broke into same business three times - 0
- Two more Keene State College students charged in riots - 1
- Two Keene State students among three newest riot arrests - 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Marchand scores 2, B's win - 0
- Ex-Nashua deputy police chief sues city and outgoing police chief - 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 1
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 16
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Business Newsreel: Kimberly-Clark faces lawsuit over Ebola protection gear - 0
- GT Advanced, Apple try to keep lid on COO's comments - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
School's out for voters
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483