Jail: $215,000 paid to female officer
What followed later that day resulted in lawsuits that cost Hillsborough County $222,500 in settlements — most of that money going to a female corrections officer disturbed over what she had witnessed.
Sanabria is also on retirement disability that pays her $27,200 a year. Oakes received a one-time, $7,500 settlement.
“But the way she (Sanabria) said it, it did not happen,” Dionne said. “Her story was not even consistent with the inmate’s.”
According to Sanabria’s court case, Oakes was placed in the restraint chair after banging her head on her cell wall. Her wrists and legs were fastened, and a nurse checked her circulation.
“Sgt. Willaims made sexually derogatory remarks about inmate Oakes, including ‘Look at those melons,’ referring to her breasts,” the suit reads.
“You like head-butting? How’s that you b****,” the suit quotes Williams saying.
After about an hour and 10 minutes, Oakes was removed from the restraint chair, and she said she would cooperate.
They said Oakes, who was mentally challenged, would probably forget it. When Sanabria sat at a table in the employee cafeteria, her fellow corrections officers would get up and leave.
Dionne, then a captain, told her there would be an investigation with taped interviews, lie detector tests and terminations. None of that happened, Sanabria said.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Proposed Common Core alternative will get public review tonight - 6
- New headmaster eager to take the reins at Pinkerton - 0
- SNHU, NH Institute of Art merger talk creates anxiety for some - 4
- UNH- Manchester looks to move into Pandora building - 2
- Wilton school project begins - 0
- Nashua explores taking over Brentwood School - 0
- Franklin Pierce lays off four full-time employees - 0
- New Highland-Goffe's Falls principal starts job today - 0
- Board to vote on new graphic design program - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 3
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform