Jail: $215,000 paid to female officer
What followed later that day resulted in lawsuits that cost Hillsborough County $222,500 in settlements — most of that money going to a female corrections officer disturbed over what she had witnessed.
Sanabria is also on retirement disability that pays her $27,200 a year. Oakes received a one-time, $7,500 settlement.
“But the way she (Sanabria) said it, it did not happen,” Dionne said. “Her story was not even consistent with the inmate’s.”
According to Sanabria’s court case, Oakes was placed in the restraint chair after banging her head on her cell wall. Her wrists and legs were fastened, and a nurse checked her circulation.
“Sgt. Willaims made sexually derogatory remarks about inmate Oakes, including ‘Look at those melons,’ referring to her breasts,” the suit reads.
“You like head-butting? How’s that you b****,” the suit quotes Williams saying.
After about an hour and 10 minutes, Oakes was removed from the restraint chair, and she said she would cooperate.
They said Oakes, who was mentally challenged, would probably forget it. When Sanabria sat at a table in the employee cafeteria, her fellow corrections officers would get up and leave.
Dionne, then a captain, told her there would be an investigation with taped interviews, lie detector tests and terminations. None of that happened, Sanabria said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
- Nashua to combat substance abuse with knowledge at forum - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform