Jail: $215,000 paid to female officer
What followed later that day resulted in lawsuits that cost Hillsborough County $222,500 in settlements — most of that money going to a female corrections officer disturbed over what she had witnessed.
Sanabria is also on retirement disability that pays her $27,200 a year. Oakes received a one-time, $7,500 settlement.
“But the way she (Sanabria) said it, it did not happen,” Dionne said. “Her story was not even consistent with the inmate’s.”
According to Sanabria’s court case, Oakes was placed in the restraint chair after banging her head on her cell wall. Her wrists and legs were fastened, and a nurse checked her circulation.
“Sgt. Willaims made sexually derogatory remarks about inmate Oakes, including ‘Look at those melons,’ referring to her breasts,” the suit reads.
“You like head-butting? How’s that you b****,” the suit quotes Williams saying.
After about an hour and 10 minutes, Oakes was removed from the restraint chair, and she said she would cooperate.
They said Oakes, who was mentally challenged, would probably forget it. When Sanabria sat at a table in the employee cafeteria, her fellow corrections officers would get up and leave.
Dionne, then a captain, told her there would be an investigation with taped interviews, lie detector tests and terminations. None of that happened, Sanabria said.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 6
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief