Another View: Casino defeat in Massachusetts is good for New Hampshire
If a clear majority of New Hampshire supports casino gambling, and local control is a central part of any plan considered in our state, then we have the right road map for doing it right.
Gov. Maggie Hassan supports the idea. The GOP-led New Hampshire Senate has strongly endorsed gambling. And a majority of New Hampshire House Democrats voted for gambling.
We are close. Our colleagues said no to gambling last May primarily out of concern over the need for stricter rules and regulations for operating a casino in this state. Right now, the state's Gambling Authority, made up of law enforcement and legislative leaders, is working on recommendations to create a strict new framework for how a casino would operate in New Hampshire. The report is due next month, in time to be incorporated into a proposal for lawmakers.
Rep. Linda DiSilvestro is a Democrat from Manchester, Rep Raymond Gagnon is a Democrat from Claremont, Rep. Laura Pantelakos is a Democrat from Portsmouth, and Rep. Katherine Rogers is a Democrat from Concord.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chair to serve as Derry POW/MIA memorial - 0
- Harbor Homes of Nashua receives funds to expand mental health services - 0
- Veterans Home in Tilton takes on ALS challenge - 0
- Honor Our Veterans event on Aug. 24; free pork roast in Rochester; free pork roast in Rochester - 0
- Homeland Heroes to open "store" in Hudson - 0
- At 73, double amputee Vietnam vet is golfing again with special cart at Manchester CC - 0
- Veterans Home's oldest resident dies at 100 - 0
- Vets charity receives a $150,000 gift - 0
- Veterans News: Coupe De Ville Band plays in Kingston - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test