Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Doctor fired, Valley Street jail lawsuits pile up
The result: the woman ended up with a $27,500 settlement, and the jail's long-term medical director ended up out of a job.
Some people, he complained, will get physicians to prescribe powerful drugs before they enter jail for their sentence. "I'm caught between two forces," he said. "I can't practice good medicine and give an alcoholic sedatives."
The suits and accompanying documents depict jail officials as indifferent to inmates' medical problems and always on-guard against drug abuse.
"You're dealing with a different type of person when you're talking about correctional facilities or prisons," Dionne said.
Offering to pay for Boilard's medication, her husband wrote the superintendent. He received curt replies saying his wife had been seen by the jail physician. He then filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court. After nearly three months of fighting, Boilard got her meds.
Ryan would also make decisions on which inmates would have to be transferred to the hospital, Moore wrote.
Ward said Ryan, who has been with Hillsborough County since 2008 and earns $65,000, is very good at what she does.
"As far as I'm concerned, she knows what she's doing," he said.
In another case, Raymond Rheault received $20,000 after complaining his medicine was eliminated and he was placed in solitary confinement for nine months, where his condition deteriorated so much that he had to be admitted to the New Hampshire State Hospital.Coming Tuesday: A female corrections officer speaks up; lawsuits generated by "The Hole."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483