Court to decide if Nashua Historical Society president should be reinstated
But attorney Kevin Devine, who represents the historical society, said the board of directors has extensive authority to make decisions about managing the organization, including whether to remove an elected officer.“A lot of organizations have bylaws with specific rules on removing elected officers,” said Devine. “However, the bylaws for the Nashua Historical Society are silent on this issue.”
Devine and Murphy have different interpretations of “Roberts Rules,” and it will be up to Nicolosi to sort through and decide which side comes closest to upholding the intent of the bylaws and the historical society.
According to Devine, Terry Knowles of the Charitable Trust Unit has found nothing improper about the society’s system of storing and cataloging artifacts.
Romano was hoping the Charitable Trust Unit would also review the board’s decision oust her, but the state refused.
Thomas Balch, a Virginia-based registered parliamentarian and one of a team of editors who oversaw the publication of the last two editions of “Robert’s Rules,” was hired by the plaintiffs to review the case. He has submitted a brief to the court that supports Romano.
“The basic trust in Roberts Rules involves protecting the rights of members, the rights of majority decisions and the rights of due process.”
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.