Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: Happy day, veterans — you've earned it
Saying it as "Happy Veterans Day" doesn't seem quite right. It's a day set aside for our military veterans and I hope it is a happy day for each and every one of them. They certainly have earned it, and more. And if you see a veteran today, or any day, for that matter, thank him or her for his service to our country.
Veterans Day started out as Armistice Day, signaling the end of, at the time, the worst war in world history. You know, the one that stopped at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of the year 1918.
Reading the proofs for our newspaper's new book on New Hampshire history, I was fascinated by how Manchester and the state tried to cope with that killer flu. The book will be shipped later this month but people have already put in orders for more than half of the first printing. They won't be disappointed. For information, go to www.UnionLeader.com/150Years.
But I can't fault some of the younger news people here who make an occasional history misstep, which sharp-eyed readers always catch.
You would think that it would depict a ship at full sail, which is what a recent story mistakenly reported.
All of which shows some things do change in America and some stay the same. Now as then, veterans deserve this special day. So, happy day, veterans.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 58
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
- Your Turn, NH -- Ted Menswar Jr.: How Manchester pulled together to honor one of its greats - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Is the Islamic State really un-Islamic? - 3
- George Will: Scotland's epic vote - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: Obama's uncertain trumpet, again - 0
- Maureen McDonald: Ray Rice and the everyday problem of domestic violence - 1
READER COMMENTS: 4
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 3
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
- New Nashua computer curriculum stresses exam, lifetime skills - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof