Home » News » Public Safety
Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire
Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.
A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.
Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.
Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.
Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 600 votes cast in Hudson by midday - 0
- Man dies after officer-involved Rochester shooting - 0
- Londonderry polls average 100 voters per hour - 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Musher Seavey wins Alaska's Iditarod dogsled race; woman with NH ties finishes second - 0
- UPDATE: Hudson police standoff ends; person in custody - 0
- Revised lice policy gets cool reception from some at Manchester school meeting - 1
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus