All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire

RAYMOND - A fire that claimed the life of a local man early Saturday has been blamed on the use of a charcoal grill in the living room of the structure, either for cooking or heating the building.

Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.

A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.

Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.

Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.

Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.


Weekend 'Top 10' Planner: February 24-26, 2017 Weekend 'Top 10' Planner: February 24-26, 2017
Winter break for New Hampshire students begins this weekend so there will be plenty of family-centered activities at the ski areas, local libraries, and attractions throughout the state. Take some...

Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle