Home  White Mountains

November 10. 2013 12:23PM

Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire


RAYMOND - A fire that claimed the life of a local man early Saturday has been blamed on the use of a charcoal grill in the living room of the structure, either for cooking or heating the building.

Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.

A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.

Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.

Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.

Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.





 New Hampshire Events Calendar
  

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

White Mountains
Arts & Entertainment
Family, Community and Culture
Outdoors, Sports and Recreation

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

Press Releases

Arethusa Falls

April rains mean waterfalls reign in Mt Washington Valley, NH - the ultimate rock concert

READER COMMENTS: 0

What happens after 180-inches of snow falls in Mt Washington Valley over the winter? “April rains mean waterfalls reign” as winter snow melts.