Home » News » Public Safety
Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire
Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.
A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.
Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.
Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.
Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth