Home » News » Public Safety
Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire
Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.
A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.
Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.
Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.
Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 0
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
- Mother of Bedford student hit by car says safety should come first on school grounds - 5
- New Farmington police chief continues to build relationships in the community he’s served for 14 years - 0
- Keene police officer on bicycle struck by car - 0
- Antidote carried by NH first responders a life-saver for heroin overdoses - 0
- In neglect cases, indigent parents may lose legal help - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Suicide car bomber kills 3 foreign troops in Afghan capital; Taliban claims responsibility - 0
- City officials to review proposed 'spice' ban - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 0
- Manchester's Delana Curtis is left out in the cold - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 7
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Brady a realist - 0
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
DWI license revocations
Mexican man pleads guilty in international conspiracy to traffic hundreds of pounds of cocaine
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Strategery: A war by any other name
Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.?