Home » News » Public Safety
Charcoal grill used indoors blamed for fatal Raymond fire
Fire officials say William Duguay, 55, died of smoke inhalation after fire broke out in his home at 37 Regina Ave. in Raymond at about 1:30 a.m. Saturday.
Investigators say the fire started when a charcoal grill in the living room ignited combustible material nearby. A police officer attempted to rescue Duguay but was overcome by thick smoke and required treatment at Exeter Hospital.
A group of five neighbors tried to get in to help rescue Duguay before police and firefighters arrived but they too were driven back by smoke.
Investigators say clutter inside the house may have made both escape and rescue attempts futile. The investigation is continuing.
Duguay's body was found in a bathroom in the home. Fire officials say the flames apparently reached underneath and through the house. Officials said there were no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide monitors in the building.
Firefighters from Raymond, Deerfield, Epping and Fremont battled the two-alarm blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 7
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release
Ayotte calls again for FCC reform