Charles Krauthammer: Obama's rhetoric vs. Obamacare's reality
THE OBAMACARE website doesn't work. Hundreds of thousands of insured Americans are seeing their plans summarily terminated. Millions more face the same prospect next year. Confronted with a crisis of governance, how does President Obama respond?
"I've got one more campaign in me," he told grass-roots supporters Monday - a series of speeches and rallies, explains The New York Times, "to make sure his signature health care law works."
This odd belief that rhetoric trumps reality leads to strange scenes. Like the ShamWow pitch, Obama's nationally televised address trying to resell Obamacare. Don't worry about the website, he said. I'll get it fixed. And besides, there are alternatives, such as an 800 number that he promptly gave out. Twice.
And yet he tried precisely the same tack when the second crisis - the canceled policies - struck.
But many of those getting notices will find this equally untrue: Their new plan is likely to carry a higher premium and a bigger deductible and cut them off from their current doctor.
The more honest Obamacare advocates are in effect admitting that to make this omelet you have to break 8 million eggs - roughly the number of people with individual plans who are expected to lose them. Obama, however, goes on as if he can conjure omelets out of thin air.
Who will tell Obama that lies so transparent render rhetoric not just useless but ridiculous?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 0
- George Will: In California, Goldwater 2.0 - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Will big business become the left's faithful lapdog? - 2
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 2
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 6
- Another View -- Stephen L. Carter: Why is the left going after profit? - 10
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket