Charles Krauthammer: Obama's rhetoric vs. Obamacare's reality
THE OBAMACARE website doesn't work. Hundreds of thousands of insured Americans are seeing their plans summarily terminated. Millions more face the same prospect next year. Confronted with a crisis of governance, how does President Obama respond?
"I've got one more campaign in me," he told grass-roots supporters Monday - a series of speeches and rallies, explains The New York Times, "to make sure his signature health care law works."
This odd belief that rhetoric trumps reality leads to strange scenes. Like the ShamWow pitch, Obama's nationally televised address trying to resell Obamacare. Don't worry about the website, he said. I'll get it fixed. And besides, there are alternatives, such as an 800 number that he promptly gave out. Twice.
And yet he tried precisely the same tack when the second crisis - the canceled policies - struck.
But many of those getting notices will find this equally untrue: Their new plan is likely to carry a higher premium and a bigger deductible and cut them off from their current doctor.
The more honest Obamacare advocates are in effect admitting that to make this omelet you have to break 8 million eggs - roughly the number of people with individual plans who are expected to lose them. Obama, however, goes on as if he can conjure omelets out of thin air.
Who will tell Obama that lies so transparent render rhetoric not just useless but ridiculous?
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 3
- Pat Buchanan: The high price of papal popularity - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: Scott Brown does not get what 'pro-choice' really means - 15
- Deroy Murdock: Scott Brown's good case for a Republican Senate - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Rise of the Clinton Democrats (not really) - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Kelley Tambouris: I am a Manchester teacher, and I need more support - 23
- Political correctness could wind up killing a lot of Americans - 4
- Charles Krauthammer: Ebola vs. civil liberties - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH Notebook: Ground game is Stony Brook's rock - 0
- The debut of the 'The $30,000 Nutt' - 0
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Drew Cline: Two weeks before the election, no one is talking about guns - 1
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 5
- Debate rule No. 1: Don't crash - 0
- Obamacare takes center stage at 1st Congressional debate - 4
- NHIAA Field Hockey Roundup: Londonderry edges Central - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Brummett spurs Derryfield - 0
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out
UPDATED: Flood warning issued for southern NH; leaks force visitation to be cancelled at Goffstown women's prison
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen