Charles Krauthammer: Obama's rhetoric vs. Obamacare's reality
THE OBAMACARE website doesn't work. Hundreds of thousands of insured Americans are seeing their plans summarily terminated. Millions more face the same prospect next year. Confronted with a crisis of governance, how does President Obama respond?
"I've got one more campaign in me," he told grass-roots supporters Monday - a series of speeches and rallies, explains The New York Times, "to make sure his signature health care law works."
This odd belief that rhetoric trumps reality leads to strange scenes. Like the ShamWow pitch, Obama's nationally televised address trying to resell Obamacare. Don't worry about the website, he said. I'll get it fixed. And besides, there are alternatives, such as an 800 number that he promptly gave out. Twice.
And yet he tried precisely the same tack when the second crisis - the canceled policies - struck.
But many of those getting notices will find this equally untrue: Their new plan is likely to carry a higher premium and a bigger deductible and cut them off from their current doctor.
The more honest Obamacare advocates are in effect admitting that to make this omelet you have to break 8 million eggs - roughly the number of people with individual plans who are expected to lose them. Obama, however, goes on as if he can conjure omelets out of thin air.
Who will tell Obama that lies so transparent render rhetoric not just useless but ridiculous?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 5
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 5
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax