Another View -- Patrick Bick: I was embarrassed by my government's treatment of vets
Citing the government shutdown, the World War ll Memorial was "closed." The memorial is a circular plaza where visitors simply walk around to read the tributes to the men who defeated Hitler and Hirohito. No federal employees are needed for people to access the plaza. Virtually every day of the shutdown members of the "Greatest Generation," men in their 80s and 90s, arrive to see the monument that recognizes their service. The fact that they were being threatened with arrest was disgusting.
The worst thing this administration did was to deny death benefits to the families of our fallen heroes in Afghanistan. They were also being told that they had to pay their own way to Dover Air Force Base, where the caskets containing the bodies of our soldiers return home from the battlefield. Congressional Republicans were furious; Democrats were nowhere to be found. Rep. Duncan Hunter Jr., R-Calif., had it right. He called the administration's decision "boneheaded," adding that it was an "in your face, middle finger to the military families." The same administration that couldn't find the money for soldiers' death benefits apparently had the cash to keep Big Bird on the air and fund Planned Parenthood.
Patrick Bick is a Republican state representative from Salem.
READER COMMENTS: 9
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact - 0
- NHIAA Hockey Roundup: John Stark-Hopkinton eliminates Portsmouth - 0
- Livingston scores twice as Monarchs top Providence - 0
- NHIAA Basketball: Bedford girls top Trinity to advance - 0
- Ham radio introduction and class - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Bedford rolls past Lebanon, into D-II semis - 0
- NHIAA Hockey: Sprague nets hat trick to lead Central past Trinity - 0
- Mass. ER staffers to describe day of Boston Marathon bombings - 0
- College Roundup: UNH men ousted from hoop tourney - 0
George Will: The face of IRS behavior
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?
Charles Krauthammer: The wages of weakness
Two-alarm blaze at vacant building in Nashua