Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Newly elected Manchester school board member sues ex-employer, the city school district, over firing
Van Houten won the election for the Ward 12 school board seat over Christine Duffley 504 votes to 460, or by 4 percentage points. Van Houten was backed by the city Democrats, while Duffley was supported by the Republicans.
Duffley, Van Houten's opponent, said she was "shocked and saddened" to learn about the legal action. "I believed Connie to be a sincere person. It would appear this might be a conflict of interest to be on the board," she said.
On June 4, at the end of the school year, Van Houten alleges she met with two supervisors to discuss "her concerns and the retaliation she had been subjected to." Van Houten indicated that she expected to return to her job in the fall, but was told she wouldn't be informed of the schedule until August. The co-director at that time gave her a "positive reference," according to the suit.
The suit raises the likelihood that Van Houten herself will be on the board when it is asked to review the case.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 56
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 8
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 12
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it