Home » News » Public Safety
Father of Abigail Hernandez makes plea for Amber Alert
“Since we are now approaching a month since she went missing I am urging law enforcement to take action, and issue the amber alert,” he wrote. “I strongly feel that it is well past time for law enforcement to use its ‘best judgment’ and make the call.”
But investigators say they are going by New Hampshire’s Amber Alert law, which has strict criteria. One requires that authorities have enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect’s vehicle to believe an immediate alert will help.
“We don’t have any piece of evidence describing an individual or a vehicle,” FBI Agent Kieran Ramsey said.
“It doesn’t meet the Amber Alert rule at all, we don’t have any direction like that to go in at all,” Senior Associate Attorney General Jane Young said.
“When a 15-year-old girl goes missing for almost a month with no sign of her, then there is the possibility that she could ‘be at risk for serious bodily harm or death,’” he wrote.
“Our intention has been to replicate an Amber Alert situation as closely as possible, to blanket the message boards, getting signs out, and we have attained a tremendous amount of media attention, almost to what you’d see in an Amber Alert,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Cyber security a fear in NH, too
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten