Home » News » Public Safety
Candia chief's persistence gets couple out of burning home
On Tuesday, flames were shooting from the barn of the Rodiers' home on Depot Road in Candia.
R ay Rodier says he is grateful to the "pushy" police chief who saved Rodier and his wife, Marlene, from a fire that destroyed a 100-year-old barn and a good part of their house.
"He broke in through the front door, and I was in the bathroom downstairs and my wife was upstairs, and he wouldn't let us finish up, he just grabbed us and got us out of there," said Ray Rodier, who served as Candia's animal control officer for 27 years until he retired a few years ago. "The chief was very, very pushy, but in a good way. He is a good guy I tell you, in fact the entire police force is great."
"...I ran to the front door, and I saw smoke coming out, but not as heavy as out back, so I forced my way inside, and helped Ray and Marlene out of the house," McGillen said. "Ray was disoriented so I grabbed him and got them both to a neighbor's house."
"Mike and I grew up together, and he is a great guy. I would give up my right arm for him," Richard said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain