Home » News » Public Safety
UPDATED: Rockingham County Attorney Jim Reams, two others suspended
Reams has been the county attorney for 15 years.
Attorney General Joe Foster and U.S. Attorney John Kacavas made a joint announcement about the unseating of Reams and his deputy during a press conference in Rockingham County Superior Court.
Foster said a former employee made a complaint to his office, which set off the investigation.
"The allegations were significant," Foster said.
The interview with the former employee "led us to a number of other former employees we interviewed along with agents from the FBI," Foster said. "The interviews corroborated the allegations made by the initial complainant and raised other issues."
Foster said the investigation led him to suspend the prosecutorial duties of Reams, who has held the post of county attorney since being first elected in 1998.
Last night, county commissioners were informed about the investigation by the Attorney General's Office and agreed to place Reid an administrative leave.
Senior assistant attorney general James Boffetti has been named interim county attorney while the investigation continues, according to Foster.
FBI agents and investigators interviews of the staff and the assistant county attorneys at the office began this morning.
"We are hopeful they will be completed in short order," Foster said.
Kacavas said last week he received a request from Foster's office for assistance, and that his office has been working "shoulder to shoulder" with state investigators.
He said the measures taken by the state were meant to maintain the integrity of the investigation, and that residents should be assured that the County Attorney's Office will continue its work during the probe.
"This office remains open for business and the Rockingham County Attorney's Office will continue to function and administer criminal justice uninterrupted and unabated during pendency of this investigation," Kacavas said.
More details will be coming on this story.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 0
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
- Woman shot during Manchester drug raid ID'd - 0
- Weare police chief on leave amid domestic violence probe - 2
- Traffic backed up a mile in Hampton tractor-trailer accident - 0
- Citizen's Police Academy in Manchester set for Oct. 1 - 0
- Heating unit cause of blaze in Manchester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 3
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 3
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
USNH's raw deal: Part deux
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Labor fines proposed on school project