A tough crowd turns out for wind farm meeting in Alexandria
Cherien has met with residents in Alexandria and surrounding towns several times in the past year about Wild Meadows wind farm, which would go on ridgelines visible to Newfound Lake and Cardigan Mountain. Tuesday night, he explained that the $150 million project had been reduced in size and scope to meet the concerns of residents.
Cherien said the project would generate lots of local jobs and benefit area towns substantially — Alexandria would be getting about $400,000 each year from the project. He disputed claims that the project would not help the state.
Concerns about damage to property values and the potential effects of wind towers on the beauty of the region — and on the tourist dollars that go with it — surfaced frequently.Kathy Pendleton of Mountain View Road said the proposal, which would put eight towers in Alexandria and 15 in Danbury, would result in several turbine towers directly in front of her home’s beautiful view.
Resident Bob Piehler agreed. Wind towers “are cute from 50 miles away, but they are not cute if they are a mile away,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Politics of choice: A word stripped of its meaning - 8
- Cataldo for Senate: A keeper for District 6 - 0
- What rising tide? Kuster vs. Kennedy - 20
- On Obamacare: Shaheen doesn't get it - 49
- No news is bad news: Hassan goes to CDC school - 9
- No right to know: Our silent superintendent - 1
- Boutin for Senate: Constituent service for District 16 - 5
- Sanborn for Senate: The obvious choice in District 9 - 2
- Secret arrests: Names contradict ICE narrative - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
- Mass. man charged with robbing Tobacco Junction store in Pelham - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate