Home » News » Politics » Election 2013
Claremont reelects incumbents, approves charter commission
The municipal elections brought out 18 percent of the city’s registered voters with 1,196 out of 6,500 voters casting ballots.
City Manager Guy Santagate said Wednesday that the date for an election of nine members of the charter commission will be set by city officials at the next City Council meeting on Nov. 13 “and then that group will review the needs of the charter,” Santagate said.
Any proposed changes would be presented to the city council, which would place the proposed changes on a ballot for voters to decide on, he said.
It has been about 10 years since the city has reviewed its charter, Santagate said, saying it is a healthy process laid out by state law.
“I think it’s a good step to have a charter commission and review what kind of government you want to have. It’s been a long time since they had one so I think it’s a proper thing for a city to do,” Santagate said. “They can take up any items they want. I am sure they will get public input along the road here.”
Running unopposed, Mayor James Neilsen IV and Assistant Mayor Victor Bergeron and Ward two councilor Carolyn Towle were reelected.
Also running unopposed, Charlene Lovett was elected to Ward two seat formerly held by Roger Formidoni.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Another View - Kevin Smith: Londonderry is showing how to make NH business-friendly - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax