Berlin girls crush three-time defending champs to take field hockey crown
"The pressure was all on Derryfield," said Berlin head coach Nicole Arguin. "They were the No. 1 seed, undefeated and had not allowed a goal all season. They were expected to win."
"Our focus today was not getting another shutout, it was simply to win the state title," he said. "The shutout streak we had going was just a by-product of the season. Give Berlin credit. They kept beating us to the ball and they caught us on our heels."
"We pride ourselves on being a very competitive program," said Arguin. "Our girls work hard and today they were determined to win the state title."
"We knew Derryfield's strength was up the middle," said Arguin. "We just told our girls to attack up the sidelines and keep the ball away from their top players in the middle."
"The first goal gave us confidence and we managed to keep the momentum the rest of the game," said Arguin. Dandeneau made it 3-0 at the 22:36 mark and Jenna Arguin capped off the scoring with 5:01 left. Chelsey Caron and Jill Williams each had an assist in the win. Berlin freshman goalie Julie Downs was outstanding with seven saves as Berlin captured its 12th season shutout.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Target says data security breach may affect 40 million cards - 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child