NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
"It is very much part of New Hampshire culture. We are still oriented to the outdoors and value that connection to the natural world," state Fish and Game Department spokesman Jane Vachon said.
Hunters will find a healthy deer herd this year with an estimated 85,000 white-tail deer in the state, Vachon said.
"The increase at this point in the season is likely the result of the mild winter in 2012-2013 and favorable hunting conditions," Fish and Game Deer Project Leader Dan Bergeron said.
Wildlife experts urge hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to wear a piece of blaze orange apparel when they head outdoors during hunting season. A fluorescent hat, vest or jacket are highly visible and are proven to decrease hunting incidents, they said.
Motorists should watch out for deer crossing roads — particularly at dawn and dusk — with deer mating season underway, state conservation officials advise.
Deer are creatures of habit; if you've seen them cross the road at a certain spot, slow down and use caution driving in that area, officials say. If you see one deer, watch out for others.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sixth Annual Family Fun & Music Festival this weekend - 0
- Theater provides creative outlet for kids - 0
- Manchester mom turns to crowd funding for daughter's heart surgeries - 0
- Nature Talks: Residents of a vacant lot - 0
- Special Unit M Antlerless Deer Permits Selling Fast - 0
- The Granite State Blues Society presents the 12th Annual Barnful of Blues - 0
- A Concert in a Place with No Space or Time - 0
- Derry Cycling Trio reaches 2000 Mile Mark in Cross Country Adventure - 0
- Loeb School offers Cartooning for Kids Workshop August 7th - 0
17 Special New Hampshire Picnic Spots
Nature Talks: Residents of a vacant lot
Win tickets to see Josh Turner
Theater provides creative outlet for kids
Win tickets to see Austin Mahone
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health