NH stats: 60,000 in state hunt for deer
"It is very much part of New Hampshire culture. We are still oriented to the outdoors and value that connection to the natural world," state Fish and Game Department spokesman Jane Vachon said.
Hunters will find a healthy deer herd this year with an estimated 85,000 white-tail deer in the state, Vachon said.
"The increase at this point in the season is likely the result of the mild winter in 2012-2013 and favorable hunting conditions," Fish and Game Deer Project Leader Dan Bergeron said.
Wildlife experts urge hunters and outdoor enthusiasts to wear a piece of blaze orange apparel when they head outdoors during hunting season. A fluorescent hat, vest or jacket are highly visible and are proven to decrease hunting incidents, they said.
Motorists should watch out for deer crossing roads — particularly at dawn and dusk — with deer mating season underway, state conservation officials advise.
Deer are creatures of habit; if you've seen them cross the road at a certain spot, slow down and use caution driving in that area, officials say. If you see one deer, watch out for others.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Harrigan: A rare appearance by Mr. Outdoor Answer Man - 0
- Annual Snodeo in Stewartstown draws good crowd, many vendors - 0
- NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod - 0
- Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance - 0
- Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: March's arrival brings ideal ice fishing conditions - 0
- High school students want to give the shirts off their backs - 0
- Nashua cadet receives Civil Air Patrol award - 0
- Hooksett teen faces charge of throwing egg at police car - 1
NH native holds lead spot in Iditarod
Soap 101: Studies in self-reliance
Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities
Win tickets to see Rusted Root & The Wailers
Blue shame: Obamacare's big change
Ted Siefer's City Hall: It was all about chickens, alleged threats and nocturnal wanderings
Planned Parenthood funds S&M Web video
NH delays enforcing liquor warehouse pact
Roger Simon: How would Hillary handle Putin?